Interns Eligibility Requirements
Global Aid Direct provides opportunities for students who are enrolled in undergraduate graduate and post graduate programs or those who have graduated to undertake an internship with one of its diverse range of divisions and Aid Coordination/field/Offices/duty stations worldwide.
The program aims to expose the intern to the day-to-day work and special missions of Global Aid Direct, promote a better understanding of international problems, and to introduce the intern to the unique and multinational work environment of Global Aid Direct Aid Coordination Offices/duty stations.
The program will enhance the intern's educational experience through practical work and/or research, along with providing the host division at Global Aid Direct duty station with able assistance in various specialized professional fields. Note that Interns are selected on a competitive basis as such; the following minimum qualifications are required:
Interns are selected on a competitive basis. The following minimum qualifications are required:
- Be at least 18 years of age for national internships
- Be at least 20 years of age for international internships
- Interns who hold student visas must obtain appropriate work authorization from their educational institutions.
- You should have an interest in global mobility; adaptability to varied physical and other environments; a desire to work with and gain the confidence and respect of people with different language, national and cultural backgrounds.
- You need to be a currently-enrolled undergraduate (Juniors & Seniors only), graduate or post-graduate student in a field related to Global Aid Direct’s interests; you must be enrolled during the full duration of the proposed internship period or have graduated within the previous four months from the posting date.
- You should be fluent in English and one other Global Aid Direct working language i.e. English, Spanish, French, Haitian Creole, Arabic, Chinese, Somali, Portuguese, Vietnamese, etc.
- Your academic performance should be excellent, as demonstrated by recent university or institution records.
- Your application for an internship should be supported by your university or related institution. A minimum requirement is a letter from one of your professors supporting your application. This is only needed when an internship assignment has been offered to you.
- Applicants must have a demonstrated interest in the field of international development, particularly in areas of Global Aid Direct priorities.
- Ability to adapt and work in a multicultural setting.
- Has strong commitment to the values and principles of the Global Aid Direct's mission, guiding principles and Convention on Human Rights.
- Additional consideration will be given for any past work experiences.
- Interns are not covered by workers compensation and Director & Officers Liability insurance.
Other conditions: An ideal candidate will also meet the following requirements
- The intern undertakes to conduct himself/herself at all times in a manner compatible with his/her responsibilities as a participant in a Global Aid Direct internship program.
- The intern must keep confidential any and all unpublished information made known during the course of the internship and not publish any reports or paper on the basis of information obtained except with the authorization of Global Aid Direct.
- The intern will not be paid by Global Aid Direct and, will not be considered a staff member; hence, he/she will not be entitled to the privileges and immunities accorded to staff members of Global Aid Direct.
- All expenses connected with the internship, such as travel costs, travel arrangements, living accommodation, are the responsibility of the intern or the sponsoring institution.
- The intern is responsible for obtaining any necessary visas.
- The intern will provide written notice in case of illness or other unavoidable circumstances which might prevent him/her from fulfilling the internship.
- The intern acknowledges that Global Aid Direct is not responsible for the costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during an internship
- The intern acknowledges that he/she is responsible for his own financial support or an academic institution or other agency.
- The intern acknowledges that he/she is legally authorized to work under the laws of the location of the internship.
- The intern acknowledges that he/she is responsible to apply for and obtain his/her own appropriate visa.
- Enrolled in a relevant graduate or post-graduate academic program, or have graduated within the previous four months
- The intern acknowledges that he/she must have comprehensive medical coverage including emergency evacuation insurance for the duration of the internship (interns must provide proof of insurance)
- The intern acknowledges that he/she must have some proficiency in the requisite language
- The intern acknowledges that he/she is currently enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate or postgraduate program in a field relevant to Global Aid Direct's work
- The intern acknowledges that he/she has at least 12 months of professional work experience in relevant field.
- The intern acknowledges that he/she has excellent time management, analytical and organizational skills
- The intern acknowledges that he/she has excellent interpersonal/intercultural communication skills
- The intern acknowledges that he/she is proficient in a second language other than English
- The intern acknowledges that he/she is open minded and able to function effectively in diverse, multicultural environment
- Top candidates will also possess a flexible, team-oriented work style
If you meet the above eligibility criteria and are satisfied with all the conditions and are still interested in submitting an online application, please click here to apply online.
However, please keep in mind that even if you meet these qualifications, there is no guarantee of placement. We receive many more applications from qualified candidates than we can place. Placement is subject to availability of meaningful assignments.
The vast majority of Global Aid Direct assignments are based on two to twelve month renewable contracts, with the expectation that the Global Aid Direct Volunteer will serve one year or more.
Global Aid Direct assignments are exciting and rewarding, but living conditions can be difficult or at times dangerous. Many Global Aid Direct Volunteers work in remote, isolated duty stations and some operations are non-family assignments. We encourage you to read and fully understand the above summary of the Volunteers Eligibility Requirements before you continue the application process.
If you are considering international internships please note the following:
Any travel comes with certain risks, and travel with Global Aid Direct is no different. Of course all reasonable precautions will be made to prevent any dangers. If at any time a volunteer feels that he or she is not comfortable with any given activity, he or she may freely abstain.
Travel to different countries mean that conditions will vary - sometimes quite significantly - from those in the United States. These reasons are some of the primary reasons volunteers are drawn to Global Aid Direct assignments, but can also be the basis for possible risks. For example, the condition of roads, infrastructure (such as phone lines, water lines, etc) and hygiene conditions are likely to differ from, and often be considered inferior to, those found in the volunteers' home.
The volunteers should also be aware that environmental conditions may provide certain challenges to some. For example, higher altitudes in some locales may mean volunteers with difficulty breathing may find it even more difficult in new climes. For those with sensitivity to dryness, certain climates may be uncomfortable.
In some countries, it is a good idea to get vaccinations prior to your trip. The Center for Disease Control and the World Health Organization will give you up to date recommendations. These suggestions will be in your orientation packet, and you are solely responsible for reading them with understanding. In addition, each volunteer needs to access his or her medical needs and overall health prior to applying for a Global Aid Direct volunteers program.