Global Aid Direct – Helping People Reach Their Highest Potential
Volunteers Eligibility Requirements
To become a Global Aid Direct Volunteer you should have the following values and commitment, and possess the following professional qualifications:
Values and commitment
- Strong commitment to the values and principles of volunteering;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Ability to adjust to difficult living conditions;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Prior volunteering and/or working experience in a developing country is an asset.
- A university degree or higher technical diploma;
- Two years of relevant working experience;
- At least age 18 when taking up an assignment nationally (there is no upper age limit);
- At least age 20 when taking up an assignment internationally (there is no upper age limit);
- A Good working knowledge of English and at least one other Global Aid Direct working languages.
The key benefit of being a Global Aid Direct Volunteer is the personal satisfaction the volunteer assignment brings to you as you make a positive impact on development. It also leads to a unique enhancement of your professional experience.
To support you during your assignment, you will receive:
- Settling-in-Grant calculated on the duration of assignment, which is paid at the beginning of the assignment;
- Volunteer Living Allowance (not a salary) intended to cover basic living expenses, which is paid each month;
- Travel on appointment and at the end of assignment as applicable;
- Life, health and permanent disability insurance;
- Resettlement allowance calculated based on the duration of assignment, which is paid upon satisfactory completion of the assignment.
The vast majority of Global Aid Direct assignments are based on two to twelve month renewable contracts, with the expectation that the Global Aid Direct Volunteer will serve one year or more.
Global Aid Direct assignments are exciting and rewarding, but living conditions can be difficult or at times dangerous. Many Global Aid Direct Volunteers work in remote, isolated duty stations and some operations are non-family assignments. We encourage you to read and fully understand the above summary of the Volunteers Eligibility Requirements before you continue the application process.
Any travel comes with certain risks, and travel with Global Aid Direct is no different. Of course all reasonable precautions will be made to prevent any dangers. If at any time a volunteer feels that he or she is not comfortable with any given activity, he or she may freely abstain.
Travel to different countries mean that conditions will vary - sometimes quite significantly - from those in the United States. These reasons are some of the primary reasons volunteers are drawn to Global Aid Direct assignments, but can also be the basis for possible risks. For example, the condition of roads, infrastructure (such as phone lines, water lines, etc) and hygiene conditions are likely to differ from, and often be considered inferior to, those found in the volunteers' home.
The volunteers should also be aware that environmental conditions may provide certain challenges to some. For example, higher altitudes in some locales may mean volunteers with difficulty breathing may find it even more difficult in new climes. For those with sensitivity to dryness, certain climates may be uncomfortable.
In some countries, it is a good idea to get vaccinations prior to your trip. The Center for Disease Control and the World Health Organization will give you up to date recommendations. These suggestions will be in your orientation packet, and you are solely responsible for reading them with understanding. In addition, each volunteer needs to access his or her medical needs and overall health prior to applying for a Global Aid Direct volunteers program.
Volunteering and community engagement empower people
Copyright © 2011 Global Aid Direct. All Rights Reserved.
Join discussions on our wall and be in the loop for info on FB
Tweet and follow us. News, emergencies and useful information
Connect with and promote our activities on goggle plus
Connect with Global Aid Direct on YouTube to view videos
Protecting Dignity, Providing Hope, Economic and Educational Opportunities.